These 5 Ways to Give Back in Austin this Holiday Season are only a small sampling of the opportunities available for giving back in our community but aside from Blue Santa I’m only sharing organizations that I have personally supported in some way. This is a sponsored post on behalf of T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods. All opinions are my own. #BringBackHolidays
With less than 3 weeks to go until Christmas, how many of you are tired, stressed, and overwhelmed by all that has to be done? I know I’m on that list. There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day for all of the planning, decorating, baking, shopping, travel preps, all at the same time trying to make the Christmas season fun and magical for your family.
But all of those things that we convince ourselves need to happen in order for the holidays to run smoothly and meet our expectations aren’t what’s most important. People are the most important. Both our own family and friends, as well as those that are less fortunate in the community.
One thing that shouldn’t be overlooked during this season is giving back to others. Today I want to share with you some of the ways to give back in Austin this holiday season.
5 Ways to Give Back in Austin This Holiday Season
1. Mobile Loaves & Fishes: this amazing organization helps provide food and clothing for the homeless. They also have a unique 27 acre masterplanned community which provides housing and support for the chronically homeless in Central Texas.
2. Angel Tree: these special trees are set up with paper angel ornaments which include the name, age, and wish list of a child in our area. You can find these trees set up at Lakeline Mall, Barton Creek Mall, and the Hill Country Galleria.
3. SafePlace: this is by far my favorite place to donate baby and children’s things to. This organization provides a safe place for families affected by abuse and helps get them on their feet again. During the holidays you can sponsor a family, shop for the shelter, or volunteer.
4. Blue Santa: the Austin Police Department partners with the community to provide food and gifts for families in need during the holidays. This program began supporting 20 families and expect to provide gifts to over 5,000 Austin area families this year! Through December 18th you can adopt a family to support this Christmas.
5. LifeWorks: is an organization that advocates for youth and young families to overcome their circumstances and lead self-sufficient lives. During the holidays, LifeWorks helps those in the community give back to those that are supported by their organization with Project Holiday Help. Options for giving include adopting a family (closed for 2015), donating backpacks and sleeping bags, or donating gift cards.
I love to see when large corporations give back as well. Some of my favorite stores, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are doing just that. They discovered a family with a truly inspirational story that really emphasizes what’s most important during this time of year – being with our loved ones. When these companies learned that this remarkable family spent most of the holidays last year in the hospital, they wanted to give back and generously shower this family with surprise blessings. Check out this video to get yourself in the holiday spirit!
Can you think of any other ways to give back in Austin this holiday season?