Every parent wants the best for their children and that means a planet that’s safe and will sustain future generations. I try to do whatever I can, whenever I can to make environmentally conscious decisions.
If you’re interested in learning some ways that you can teach your children how to live green like the Lorax, I have some suggestions for you. A lot of small things can make a significant impact over time. Wanting to help the environment and educate your children on what and why you’re doing things is the first step in making a positive change.
1. Begin a compost pile. Reduce the amount of trash in landfills and help your produce skins, coffee ground, egg shells, and other organic matter turn into soil. You can also save money by using fewer trash bags and using the compost to enrich your garden. Composting is easier than it sounds. Read Composting 101 – Composting for Beginners to get started.
2. Start a garden. It’s such a great feeling to grow your own food and it tastes better too. My daughter loves watering our garden and seeing new fruit come to life and ripen. Having a garden will also save you time, money, and encourage you to eat healthier.
3. Plan your week. By making a list of each errand or appointment you need to accomplish every week, you’ll be able to save time and money by doing nearby tasks together.
4. Use less water. Only run full loads in your dishwasher and washing machine. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Take baths instead of showers.
5. Adjust your thermostat. Keep the temperature in your house warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter to use less electricity and save money.