Some of them served during times of conflict like in the Korean and Vietnam Wars and others have served during times of relative peace. But the threat of war and deployment is always alive and the possibility of having to leave the comforts of their life and protect the freedoms of our country as a whole is always a real possibility.
The tremendous commitment and sacrifice these men have made to their country are a debt that we'll never be able to fully repay but there are ways that we can offer our thanks.
5 Ways to Thank Veterans
- There's something so simple but equally touching about just shaking the hand and offering a word of thanks to a military service member when you see them in uniform.
- A way to take the first point a little farther, is if you see someone in uniform at a restaurant pick up their tab.
- Write them a letter or care package thanking them for their service. Organizations like Any Soldier and Operation Gratitude have all the information you need to create a care package and send it to a deserving service member.
- Expired coupons can be used by military families that are overseas for up to 6 months past the expiration date. Find out where to send your coupons or adopt a family through the Coupons to Troops website.
- Donate to Fisher House which helps provide housing for families while a sick or wounded veteran is in the hospital. This is one of the charities that I personally donate to each year. Not only can you donate money, you can also gift your airline miles to help military members and their families out as well.
Large corporations are showing their appreciation for those that have served and continue to fight for our nation. Some of these companies offer freebies or discounts of goods and services as a small token of their appreciation. Surprisingly many of these businesses don't advertise military discounts, so when in doubt always ask! You can also find information about a company's military discounts via their website.
I recently learned that military families can even save on their energy costs through Direct Energy. This company wants to give back and help veterans that have sacrificed for our country and have created the Direct Energy Military Portal to help service members find discounted energy rates that meet their needs. Once you've entered your valid ID into the portal you'll not only be eligible and have access to discounts, but you'll be able to utilize the bill payment rewards program, Refer-a-Friend Program, an Online Account Manager, and more! What a great way for companies to give back!
Do you have a connection to the military? How would you thank a veteran?