This may come as a shocker to some people but my husband and I didn't have a date night alone until our oldest was 2 1/2 years old. A friend finally took mercy on us and being an oldywed, agreed to watch Brady for a couple of hours so we could have some much-needed couple time. But just because we hadn't had any date nights out of the house, we for sure tried to come up with romantic date night ideas at home to make sure we were still getting much-needed couple time.
As much as I love a date night out (and boy do I love a date night out), I've realized over the years that date night doesn't have to be a rare occurrence. Even if you don't have a babysitter or a big budget you can still have The necessary date night and one on one time with yourself at home if you're intentional about it.
As much as I love going out for date night, sometimes I'm relieved to just stay at home and spend time together. It doesn't have to just be a rare occurrence where you have to fight for a babysitter and add in extra line items to the budget.
If you're in the thick of parenting little or just want to mix things up, here are 7 romantic date night ideas at home. You can sprinkle these out over the course of a week or do them all in one night – whatever works for you!
7 Romantic Date Night Ideas at Home
1. Flowers and candles. Set the mood for the evening with flowers. While it's always nice if your spouse surprises you with flowers, there's no reason to do without. Buy your own! Red roses are always romantic, but if you're in the habit of always having flowers on your table then whatever you have around works. For the candles, you don't have to go all out lighting a hundred candles all over the house (of course you could), just a few well-placed candles will set the mood whether you're eating dinner or enjoying a bath.
2. Have an indoor picnic. Wait to eat until after putting the kids to bed. Spread a blanket on the living room floor and enjoy a carefully curated charcuterie plate full of your favorite meats, cheeses, olives, and fruits or have takeout delivered. The point is you and your significant other are having a meal together alone and without interruptions.
3. Enjoy a drink tasting. Purchase a variety of wine, beer, whiskey, or whatever drink you enjoy and have a tasting flight as you enjoy you pair them with foods during your indoor picnic.
4. Don't forget dessert. Don't forget the sweets! You could go all out and make a special dessert, buy one, or have one delivered. For me, some nice dark chocolate is a great way to top off a romantic meal and little effort is required. Plus, if you went with red wine above you're getting double the points for a heart-healthy date night.
5. Movie night. How often do we succumb to the same old series on Netflix? Mix things up and actually watch a full-length movie together. It doesn't even have to be a drama or a romantic comedy, find a movie you're both interested in seeing and watch it together while reveling in the lack of animation. If it's a weekend date night, you might even have a double feature and theme the movies together.
6. Game time. While my husband loves computer games, the old school variety is more my speed. There's something about the lack of technology and the opportunity to have a conversation and really enjoy each other's company playing a board game, cards, or doing a puzzle together that makes the experience more special.
7. Spa night. Loosen up those muscles with a bath or shower together and then give each other massages. It may not seems like a lot, but one of my favorite parts of staying in a hotel with just my husband or after the kids go to bed at night and being intentional about having a romantic date night at home is a bath together. If your spouse isn't as into baths as you are (mine isn't), likely they're a sucker for baths so take to the shower for some relaxing time alone together.
It's time to cozy up to your scentmate – AXE Black Body Wash for him and Caress Love Forever Body Wash for her. AXE Black Body Wash has a subtle fragrance combining notes of bergamot, rosemary, and cedarwood allowing him to smell great and leave an impression without going over the top. And Caress Love Forever uses breakthrough fragrance touch technology that releases bursts of fragrance with every touch of your skin ensuring your skin has a last fragrance for up to 12 hours.
Do you have any other romantic date night ideas at home?