This post with the best Cuban sandwich recipe is sponsored by Summer Citrus from South Africa.
As much as I love my adopted home state of Texas, I'm a Florida girl. I was born there and while I only lived there for the first 5 years of my life, I still go back each and every summer to visit.
Florida is in my blood. The weather, the beaches, the people, and the food.
Oh the food. What can you say about the food except delicious? It's such a melting pot of cultures and flavors creating a wide range of dishes that play on local products and turn them into something that's uniquely southern.
Or, in this case. Uniquely Florida.
Outside of Cuba, you can't find a Cuban sandwich with the quite the same authentic flavor combinations and passionate love of food as you do in a Cuban sandwich you get in South Florida.
Those fresh, beautiful, citrus notes are usually something you can only get outside of Florida during the winter months but now you can enjoy the flavors you love during the summer with Summer Citrus from South Africa!
Summer Citrus from South Africa has the following benefits:
- excellent source of Vitamin A, B-complex, and C vitamins
- good source of potassium, calcium, carbohydrates, and fiber
- low in sodium, cholesterol, fat, and calories
- rich in antioxidants
Inspired by my love of Cuban sandwiches and the bright flavors of Navels and Easy Peelers, with a little help from my husband we created the best Cuban sandwich recipe this side of Miami.
And not one to miss out on any of the action, Colby jumped at the chance to help. She helped with juicing the Navels and Easy Peelers (while sneaking a bite or two, of course) and stirring the marinade together.
Not willing to miss out on an opportunity to add a little Texas flavor into this Cuban pork sandwich, my husband smoked the pork tenderloin on his Big Green Egg despite the 100-degree heat.
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- juice of 2 Summer Citrus from South Africa Navels and (1) Easy Peeler
- 3 tbsp. lime juice approx. 2 limes
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pork tenderloin ours came in a package of two
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 lb. ham
- 1 lb. swiss cheese thinly sliced
- 6 dill pickles sandwich slices
- 12 croissant buns or Cibbata buns
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- Add everything from the pork tenderloin and above to a gallon sized plastic storage bag and marinate in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Transfer to preheat grill or ceramic cooker until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees and remove.
- Meanwhile, slice buns in half and spread each side with mustard.
- Layer pork, ham, cheese, and pickles to one side of bun and top with other side.
- Melt butter in skillet and press down with metal spatula to flatten.
- After 3-4 minutes flip to opposite side and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes and remove.
Get started making the best Cuban sandwich recipe and enjoying more Summer Citrus from South Africa!