Now that the girls are back in school and we’re settling into a new routine, I decided it was time to start going to the gym again. I unfroze the membership I hadn’t used for the last year and headed back to the gym, ready to shed the 15 pounds I packed on last year and eager to feel strong again. It’s only been three weeks but so far, so good. If you haven’t been to the gym in awhile (ever) and need to know what to pack in your gym bag, let me share what’s in mine!
What to Pack in Your Gym Bag
1. Hair ties. If for some reason you’re not able to get completely ready for the gym, are heading there afterwork, or the one you have in your hair already breaks, it’s always smart to have a few hair ties in your gym bag to pull your hair out of your face during your workout. I don’t know about you, but when I start getting hot pulling my hair off the back of my neck is one of the first things I do. If you’re uncomfortable, you’re not going to want to workout long so make sure you stay cool…as much as possible.
2. Water bottle. The next thing I do when I’m hot is start getting parched and craving water. I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day already, but when I’m working out I crave water even more. And my body needs it to be able to function properly and not dehydrate. Having a reusable water bottle with a lock on it, ensures you can add fill your bottle with ice cold water before you leave home and it won’t leak all over your gym bag.
3. Snack. I’m usually starving when I’m finished working out so to fend off the shakes afterwards, I like to stash a protein bar in my bag, although I have other friends that swear bananas are their go to post-workout food. This is especially handy if you’re not headed straight home after a workout. I made the mistake of going from the gym to preschool pickup and then shopping one day without a snack and got downright dizzy.
4. Earbuds. Obviously if you’re doing a group fitness class or practicing yoga, you won’t need earbuds but if you’re doing cardio or even weights without a little music or something to listen to it makes the entire workout seem to drag on forever. I know. I’ve forgotten my earbuds before and the workout didn’t seem to ever end. Save yourself the frustration by always keeping a pair in your gym back.
5. Fitness tracker. I like to keep track of my heartrate (the ones built into machines aren’t always very accurate), the number of steps I’ve taken, and how many calories I’m burning so I always have a fitness tracker on me. If you don’t have one, some phones also have a health app with tracking built in or you can try entering in the length of your workout and the intensity into an app.
6. Yoga mat. This one is optional depending on the type of workout you’re doing. If you’re doing cardio, you’re not going to need a yoga mat and may want to stash a small towel in your bag instead. But if you’re doing a group fitness class that requires you to do push ups and ab work on a mat, using your own yoga mat is way cleaner than the ones piled in the corner at the gym.
7. Deodorant. Unlike the yoga mat, this is one of those universal things that everyone needs to pack in their gym bags. There’s nothing worse than the smell of sweat permeating all over you. I’m someone that needs a clinical deodorant during the day but for my workouts, I’ve found the best thing to keep the sweat and odors minimized is Degree MotionSense Dry Spray. I love that I don’t have to worry about over applying a stick deodorant and huge chunks of deodorant falling down while I’m workout out or feeling self conscious because I’m worried about how bad I’m smelling.
Like most women know, men hate to wear women’s deodorant. I don’t know if it’s the more feminine packaging or just the scent, but my husband makes it known he’s not particularly thrilled about wearing my deodorant when he runs out. With this in mind, I make sure to keep a deodorant in my gym bag that’s just for him. He’s a pretty aggressive sweater too and likes Degree Men Black & White to keep him feeling fresher longer.
When you’re not at the gym, there’s a deodorant that’s perfectly formulated to suit your personal lifestyle at Walgreens.
- Prevents Marks: I usually apply deodorant fresh from the shower which means my dark clothes usually end up with residue, to avoid sweat stains and white marks, I like Degree Women Black & White Dry Spray for women and Dove Men Invisible Dry Spray or AXE Signature Gold Dry Spray for men.
- Clinical Protection: If you’re an overactive sweater like my husband and me, you can get prescription strength protection with Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Clinical, Degree Shower Clean Clinical.
- Care: My oldest has entered into the tween stage and recently had to start wearing deodorant, I like the gentle care of Dove Advanced Care Soothing Camomile for her and Dove Men+Care Cool Fresh for males.
For a limited time, you can stock up at Walgreens and save big!
- From 9/1/2017 – 9/30/2017: Save $2 with paperless coupons applied directly to your Balance Rewards card.
- From 9/24/2017 – 9/30/2017: Dove, Degree, and AXE deodorants are buy one get one 50% and buy 2, get $2 in Register Rewards!
Now you know what to pack in your gym bag! Are there any other essentials that I missed and I need to add to mine? Let’s continue the conversation on Facebook!