Butter and sugar. There are few ingredients that make me happier than this pairing. The possibilities are endless.
But one of my go to recipes when it comes to making cookies is sugar cookies. In full disclosure, I’ve never had much patience or luck with refrigerating batter and rolling out sugar cookies and cutting fun shapes.
Instead, I make drop sugar cookies and get on my way. No waiting around for the batter to chill or rolling it out and hoping the cookie stays in one piece.
Last weekend though, my
laziness ingenuity took hold and I cut out the work of even dropping small balls of batter onto the cookie sheet. This time I poured all the batter into a baking dish and made Sugar Cookie Bars and let me see just say, they were amazing!
I don’t know about you, but I despise store bought frosting. The flavor is always a little…off. Instead I always make my own homemade buttercream frosting which is quick, easy, and delicious. For this batch I added a little (ok, a lot of) gel food coloring to turn the frosting a bright pink and topped with sprinkles for a fun, early Valentine’s Day dessert!
Sugar Cookie Bars with Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking soda,and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat softened butter for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Gradually combine sugar with butter and cream together until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla to wet mix.
- One half cup at a time, add the dry mix to the wet mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mix into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven. I like to cook my bars until they're just starting to turn golden so they have a softer consistency.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For more delicious homemade cookie recipes that I’ve changed up, check out my Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake recipe!
What’s your favorite kind of cookie?