This Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff Recipe for Holiday Entertaining is a sponsored post on behalf of Mirum Shopper. All opinions are my own. #CelebrateMeals #ad
Often times when you think of holiday dinners, certain dishes come to mind. Some of the more traditional ones are turkey and ham. In our house, since we were a family of three my mom didn’t cook much during the holidays and we would often go out to eat or, on rare occasions when there were guests, she would throw together an easy homemade casserole to celebrate.
I got married when I was 18, so for almost half of my adult life I’ve had an extended family with their own traditions. My in-laws couldn’t have been more different than my own parents. In a lot of ways really, but especially in regards to food. I grew up eating convenience foods and at restaurants and my husband learned to cook early with lots of homemade meals around the dining room table.
Whenever we’d go to visit my husband’s family, my mother-in-law would go out of her way to ensure she had all of my husband’s childhood favorite dishes on the menu. The food was delicious comfort foods but were recipes I never made.
I started taking notes during our visits and managed to get the basics down of her recipes. One I actually never remember having until she made it for me for the first time was her homemade beef stroganoff recipe. It was creamy and meaty and filling.
It was definitely something I knew I wanted to recreate at home for my husband. It may not have been my mother-in-law’s exact recipe, but it was still delicious. And once I got familiar with how to make it a certain way, I was able to start experimenting more and during those years of experimenting I came up with this easy homemade beef stroganoff recipe that’s perfect for holiday entertaining.
Homemade beef stroganoff may not be something that’s typical these days for holiday entertaining, but I find making a casserole during the holidays a way of mixing together the holiday traditions of my past with my husband’s. They’re easy, delicious, and can easily feed a crowd when you buy the ingredients in bulk at Sam’s Club. Served with French bread, Country Crock margarine, and homemade Lipton iced sweet tea and you have a meal that will remind you of your childhood (maybe) and the sentiments of breaking bread with family and friends during the holidays.
- 12 oz. wide egg noodles, cooked al dente
- 2 tbsp. Country Crock margarine
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. round steak, sliced into 2-3" strips
- ½ cup flour
- 1 package of Onion Lipton Recipe Secrets
- 1 can beef consume
- Optional: garnish with chopped Italian parsley
- In a large deep skillet, heat 2 tbsp Country Crock margarine.
- Add onions to skillet and brown for 5 minutes until good color.
- Place steak strips, flour, and Lipton Recipe Secrets in bag and toss meat throughly to coat.
- Remove meat from excess flour and add to skillet with onions.
- Brown the meat for 3 minutes until it's medium rare (there should still be visible pink color).
- Add beef consume to the skillet.
- Cook mixture another 3-4 minutes until the meat is medium.
- Turn mixture to low and mix 24 oz. of light sour cream into the pan.
- Mixing well until the color is even throughout.
- Spoon over noodles.
It may be surprising, but this recipe is even kid friendly. Even as the pickiest of eaters, my girls actually love this creamy, meaty pasta dish. The past definitely meets the present with this 60s favorite, Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff Recipe with sour cream, that’s kid approved for this generation.
Check out your local Sam’s Club so you have everything you need to entertain at a moment’s notice!