As an adult, I've battled with my fascination with the sweeter things in life too. I kept it mostly in check until I got pregnant. With each pregnancy, my willpower went out the window and I took it as my opportunity to indulge. Donuts, pies, cupcakes, candy I wanted all the sweets. It's a wonder I only gained the recommended 30-35 pounds each time.
Obviously once the pregnancies ended I had to return to real life and modify my eating habits again. As a parent we want to encourage healthy eating habits for our children by teaching them it's all about balance and moderation. I still like the flavor of sweets, but I try to find ways to satisfy my sweet tooth without going overboard.
My kids don't get dessert every night but when they do, but when they do I make sure there's enough where our family gets a portion and there's plenty leftover to share with friends like these Chocolate Covered Cranberry Bars.
Chocolate Covered Cranberry Bars Recipe
Chocolate Covered Cranberry Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, 2 eggs, and melted butter. Using electric mixer, mix together until smooth.
- Spread into the bottom of prepared baking dish using spatula until even.
- In separate bowl, cream together powdered sugar, cream cheese, and remaining eggs until smooth using spatula to scrape sides as you mix.
- Fold in DOVE® Fruit Cranberries until evenly mixed and then pour cream cheese mix over cake batter in baking dish.
- Baked in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until sides have browned.
- Allow to cook completely on baking rack then transfer to fridge to chill until cooled, at least 4 hours.
What's your favorite way to incorporate candy in your baking?