Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with this fun and festive Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats! These green desserts are easy to make and a creative spin on traditional rice krispy treats.
At school, each holiday gets special attention. At home, I haven't been quite as vigilant about celebrating all of the more minor holidays at home.
But knowing how important and fun it is for my girls, I've been putting in an effort. Last year we did a St. Patrick's Day Painted Canvas Craft.
This year, we decided to spend some time together in the kitchen celebrating with a St. Patrick's Day Rice Krispies Treat recipe! Working with a 5 year old means nothing too involved or exact and keeping things interesting with shapes and colors.
St. Patrick's Day Rice Krispie Treats
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter.
- Melt butter slowly in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat being careful not to allow butter to brown.
- Mix in miniature marshmallows and allow them to melt completely.
- Continue to cook another 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix green food coloring (gel or liquid, I used gel) in with marshmallow mix until desired shade is reached.
- Immediately mix in Rice Krispies and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and used wax paper to push down firmly.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Then, lightly spray a shamrock shaped cookie cutter and begin cutting out shapes.
- Tip: alternate directions with the cookie cutter to ensure you are able to get the most shamrocks possible.
- Note: If using a 9x13 baking dish you can double this recipe for a thicker Rice Krispie treat, however, I've found it's a little more difficult to use the cookie cutters to cut shapes if it's too thick.
Do you have any kid-friendly St. Patrick's Day recipes or crafts you recommend we try next?
For another Rice Krispies Treats recipe, check out my Milky Way Rice Krispies Treats!