Sometimes I struggle for inspiration and new dishes for Meatless Monday but this is definitely a recipe that I want to share with you. After several appearances on Menu Plan Monday, I’ve finally written up my veggie lasagna recipe. I hope y’all enjoy it as much as we do! If you try it, let me know what you think of it!
- 1 pound zuchinni, peeled, trimmed, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 egg (you could also use egg substitute)
- 15oz container reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
For marinara sauce:
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 16oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar (cuts the acidity)
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Season zucchini slices with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Broil for about 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside.
- For the marinara sauce:
Heat saucepan over medium heat, pour in EVOO and add onions. Saute onions until translucent, add garlic and saute for 1 minute before adding bell pepper. Continue sauteing for until veggies are still crisp but heated and softened. Stir in tomato sauce and remainder of sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken.
- While sauce is thickening, combine egg, ricotta, and some black pepper (use your judgement) until thoroughly mixed.
- Once sauce has thickened, begin assembling the lasagna. Spread half of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan. Next, layer half of the zucchini slices, half the ricotta, and half the mozzarella. Repeat the layering once more and sprinkle the top layer of mozzarella with a light layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.