These tips on How to Save Money on Eating Out was sponsored on behalf of Groupon and Fourstarzz Media. As always, all opinions are my own.
It’s a new year and with that comes new goals. If you set any financial goals for the year, one of them is likely to save more money.
Year after year, I set a goal to save more money and I do ok but could always do better. It never comes as a surprise to us that one of the areas we spend the most on is eating out. However, the amount we spend on eating out each year always comes as a shocker. My husband and I are total foodies so when that’s coupled with a busy schedule or traveling the tab can really add up fast.
While we still eat out pretty regularly, we have found ways to maximize our restaurant budget so we’re not blowing the entire amount for the month on just one meal. If you need some help making your dollars stretch, read on for five of my top tips on How to Save Money on Eating Out. Psst…number one on the list not only saves you money but also will earn you cash back!
How to Save Money on Eating Out
1. Groupon +. We’re all familiar with the amazing deals you can nab on Groupon by scouring and printing vouchers for various goods, services, and experiences. But did you know that you can not only save money at your favorite restaurants but actually get money back for eating there as well?!
Signing up and claiming deals is easy and free with Groupon+! Instead of printing or showing a voucher at local businesses and dealing with the hassle and embarrassment involved with that, Groupon+ deals are linked directly to the Visa or Mastercard in your Groupon account. Then when you pay for your meal, just use the same card you linked on Groupon and you’ll automatically get 5% cash back at all Groupon+ restaurants plus access to deals at thousands of restaurants with up to 30% cash back! You’ll also receive savings EVERY time you visit, no need to re-claim the deal each time. You can use the deal as many times as you want until it expires!
2. Visit during happy hour. By visiting restaurants during happy hour, you’ll not only avoid the crowds but you can also get discounted drink and appetizer specials.
3. Drink water. The markup on drinks is pretty outrageous and can really add up, so to save even more you could forego any paid drinks and just go with water.
4. Share an entree. If you can’t visit during happy hour, are visiting a restaurant that doesn’t offer one, or you’re just looking for something heartier, try sharing an entree to stretch your budget. It’s always a bonus when you go to a place that offers free appetizers like chips and salsa or bread and oil. I can’t tell you how many times this has helped fill us up and made sharing more feasible.
5. Go on kids eat free nights. My kids are pretty hit or miss when eating out. Even if we’ve gone to a restaurant dozens of times and they generally eat the food, sometimes they’re just not feeling it and refuse to eat. Or, we try out a new restaurant and the new place has a completely different idea of how chicken nuggets should taste and the girls refuse to eat it. When you go to places where kids eat free, you’re saving money and aren’t out anything if the kids are on a hunger strike that day.
Before you head to eat, definitely check out what’s available on Groupon+ to make sure you can get the best deal possible and get paid for eating out! For more details on Groupon+, check out the video below.