This cheesy hamburger tater tot casserole is the definition of comfort food. It's a hotdish recipe that will remind you of your childhood! This kid friendly recipe is full of cheese, meat, veggies, and tater tots!
Cheesy Tater Tot Hotdish Casserole Recipe
You know that meal that you always look forward to because it reminds you of when you were a kid? For me, they usually involve lots of cheese.
These are the recipes I make when I'm craving comfort food. Something that isn't necessarily super good for you, but really tastes amazing.
This entire meal can be made in just about 45 minutes. It's super fast – most of the time is spent in the oven.
These are the ingredients you will need before you make it.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic (you could also use garlic powder)
- Ground beef
- Tater Tots
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Frozen vegetables
- Shredded cheddar cheese
I have the full directions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. But here is a quick overview.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the garlic, onion, and butter in a skillet first.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic until it's completely cooked.
- Add the beef mixture to a casserole dish with the veggies, soup, and half of the cheese.
- Mix this up well.
- Top with a layer of tater tots and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and hot!
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
What is a hotdish?
A hotdish is a casserole that combines starch, meat, and veggies. In this case, tater tots for the starch, ground beef, and frozen veggies. Although you could also use canned.
In the upper midwest, a casserole is called a hotdish. My grandma picked this recipe up while my Papa was stationed in North Dakota.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute
If you are trying to eat clean and want to make your own cream of mushroom soup replacement, here is my favorite idea.
Use this recipe. It calls for butter, flour, broth, milk, and salt and pepper. You are essentially making a really thick gravy. And that's basically what the cream of mushroom soup is – a really thick mushroom gravy.
Tater Tot Casserole Variations
There are so many different ways you can make this meal. With just a few additions you can have an entirely new recipe. You could also swap your mixed veggies for green beans.
- Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe– This has homemade taco seasoning and all of your favorite toppings!
- Vegetarian Tater Tot Casserole – It is possible to make vegetarian tater tot casserole, it will just take milk (so it isn't vegan).
- Tater Tot Casserole with Bacon – Adding bacon to the top layer with the cheese transforms this dish!
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole Ahead and Freeze It
It is super simple to make this casserole ahead as a freezer meal. All you do is follow my recipe up until the step where you bake it.
Instead of baking it, seal it in an oven-safe dish. I prefer to use aluminum 9×13 pans. Then label it with the recipe name and the date.
It will stay good in the freezer for about 3 months.
When you are ready to eat it, let it thaw overnight. Then, just bake it at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. That's it!
More Easy Dinner Ideas
Need some more great recipe ideas? Here are some of my family's favorites!
Pin this easy Tater Tot Casserole recipe for later!
Print the recipe card below so you'll have this Cheesy Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole recipe when you need it!
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
This easy one-dish dinner has tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and ground beef and lots of cheese for a memorable and comforting meal.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook onions until translucent. About 5 minutes. Then add garlic to skillet and cook another minute.
- Add ground beef to onion/garlic mix and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until meat is browned.
- Place meat mix, soups, veggies, and 1/2 of the cheese into a large mixing bowl to combine. Spread mix evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish followed by a layer of tater tots.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, then top with remaining cheese for the remaining 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Note: because ovens vary, you will need to check your tater tots before adding the cheese to make sure they're cooked and no longer frozen.