This Double Decker Taco Cupcakes recipe makes for an easy appetizer for football season or a main dish for Taco Tuesday. All the flavors you love from tacos including the taco meat, cheese, and topping wrapped in wonton wrappers.
Double Decker Taco Cupcakes Recipe
Last year I did some recipe testing for a friend as she was developing her first cookbook. She introduced me to the wonders of wonton wrappers and I haven't looked back.
We have a standing monthly get together with friends where we bring an appetizer and after bringing every appetizer in my repertoire I decided to modify a favorite main dish recipe. Not only are tacos tasty and utterly irresistible for my husband and myself, but my girls also can't get enough either.
If they had their way, we'd be dining on cupcakes multiple times a week. As I said, it's not like my girls don't love tacos.
But serving them up something new, whether they love the flavors or not, can sometimes be a challenge. By placing it in a cupcake tin these cute taco muffins were an instant success!
My first attempt at using wonton wrappers in a non-traditional (or even traditional) method ended up being such a success, I can't wait to share my double decker cupcakes recipe!
My secret ingredient for this recipe is the homemade taco seasoning. It's super easy to make and so much cheaper than buying the packets. I store mine in an upcycled spice jar, but if portioning it out is your thing these work fabulous.
Double decker taco ingredients:
- Wonton wrappers
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Refried beans
- Mexican cheese
Top double d cupcakes with:
How to Make Double Decker Taco Cupcakes
This savory, bite-sized appetizer Taco Cupcakes recipe makes the perfect appetizer for football season or a main dish for any occasion. All the flavors you love from tacos made wrapped in wonton wrappers for an easy to eat appetizer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or rub down with coconut oil.
- Line each muffin cup with one wonton wrapper as the base of your "cupcake".
- Cook ground beef until browned, add taco seasoning, and set aside.
- Layer 1 tbsp. of refried beans, then 1 tbsp. of taco meat, and 1 tbsp. of cheese. Place another wonton wrapper on top of cheese and repeat layer a second time.
- In preheated oven, bake until wonton wrappers are browned and cheese is melted about 15 minutes.
- After plated, top with your favorite taco toppings such as sour cream, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and/or guacamole.
Have you made a taco cupcakes recipe or used wonton wrappers in a recipe before?
Like tacos? You'll love these other recipes:
More Mexican recipes:
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Chilaquiles Verde
- Simple Carne Asada
- One-Skillet Migas
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes