When you want an easy dessert recipe, why not go for America's favorite pie? This deep dish apple crumble pie is the perfect summer dessert, holiday pie, or for any time!
Deep Dish Apple Crumble Pie Recipe
I have a definite sweet tooth. It doesn't matter what it is. Homemade rainbow layer cake, red velvet crinkle cookies, or Bailey's chocolate truffles – there's some variety of it that I like of everything kind of sweet. But if I had to choose a favorite dessert that I could eat over and over again, it would hands down be an American favorite…deep dish apple crumble pie.
This deep dish apple crumb pie recipe has become my trademark dessert over the years as I've perfected it. Once you've made this recipe you'll never be satisfied with a store bought pie again. Especially after you taste the balance of sweet, spice, and tart with crisp, fresh apples you'll be unable to settle for anything less than perfection.
If you like apples, you might also like these other apple recipes:
How many apples for apple pie?
You'll need 8 medium-sized apples for apple pie.
What are the best apples for apple pie?
The best apples to use for apple pie are more tart ones like Jonagold or Granny Smith apples.
How to cut apples for apple pie
To cut apples for apple pie, first, peel the apple. Then half it, removing the core, before slicing it.
Deep dish apple pie ingredients
- sliced apples
- store bought deep dish pie crust (you could also use a pie crust recipe)
- lemon juice
- white granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- light brown sugar
How to make crumble topping for apple pie
To make crumb topping for apple pie, mix together all ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
What temperature to bake apple pie?
This deep dish apple pie bakes at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to brown the crust and then at 350 degrees for the remaining 45 minutes. You'll know the pie is done when the apple filling is bubbling. To keep messes to a minimum place your pie dish on a baking sheet.
How long to bake apple pie?
This apple crumble pie takes one hour to bake.
What to serve with apple pie?
How to store apple pie
Apple pie can be stored at room temperature loosely covered in the pie plate with foil or plastic wrap for 2 days. This apple crumb pie will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Apple Crumble Pie Recipe
This pie is so delicious and much easier to make than it may sound. The card below is printer friendly, so be sure to print it out and/or pint this recipe for later!
Deep Dish Apple Crumble Pie
When you want an easy dessert recipe, why not go for America's favorite pie? This deep dish apple crumble pie is so easy and delicious!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- To prepare the filling, peel, core, and slice the apples. You'll have to experiment with the thickness of your apples - cutting them too thin will make for mushy filling, too thick and the apples will be crunchy. For the ideal apple pie, err on the side of crunchiness.
- In a separate bowl, coat the apples with the white sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spiral the apples in each pie shell, layering them highest in the center.
- Prepare the topping by mixing together ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
Topping: Mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter or margarine until mixture is moist and crumbly, and clumps together easily.
- Wrap foil over edges of pie so that it doesn't burn.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 450 degrees.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the top of the pie, if it starts burning, create a dome with foil.
If you make this deep dish apple crumble pie recipe, make sure to tag me on social media so I can reshare!
If you're a fan of easy dessert recipes, you'll love these:
- Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Mug Cake
- Easy Blueberry Crisp
- Easy Key Lime Pie
- No Cook S'mores Parfait
- Quick & Easy Dump Cakes