If you’re looking for a St Patrick’s Day dessert recipe that’s as beautiful as it is delicious, read on for this Easy Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe from scratch (!) with Rainbow Buttercream Frosting.
With each month that passes by, my initial thought is, “Where has the time gone?!” Seriously, time needs to slow down. It feels like Valentine’s Day was just here and with St. Patrick’s Day and Easter so close together this year, I’ve been debating whether to even put out decorations for each. I’m leaning towards yes, or mixing and matching with St. Patrick’s Day and Easter this year.
Some people don’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day but the kids love to savor each and every little holiday and I’m all for encouraging them to look forward to each day. And especially when that means lots of bright rainbows and glittering gold abound. In their art, the decorations, and even the recipes!
Especially in recipes. Chocolate cupcake recipes that come straight from the box are okay, but there’s something so decadent and satisfying when you make your own!
Like this easy chocolate cupcakes recipe from scratch and topped with a homemade, delicious and colorful, rainbow buttercream frosting recipe. Having a simple and easy buttercream frosting recipe is all you need to frost your desserts. This one gets a little help from the whimsical addition of swirled colors and topped with some toy gold coins!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners or lightly mist with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer combine milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add to flour mixture until well combined.
- Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water
- Beat on high speed for another 1 minute.
- Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, measure approximately ¼ cup of batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and another 30 minutes before frosting.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- ⅛ tsp of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream butter and salt until fluffy.
- Mix in 1 cup of the powdered sugar.
- Slowly mix in remaining powdered sugar and mix until thoroughly combined
- Place desired tip (these cupcakes were made using a Wilton #129 inside a large piping bag.
- Paint 4 separate stripes (different colors) on the inside of the bag.
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
If you found this recipe for Easy Chocolate Cupcakes with Rainbow Buttercream Frosting, check out all of the other delicious cupcake recipes by following me on Pinterest!